Head of Department – Theatre
Main Purpose of the Job:
- To ensure that the Theatres are at all times efficiently managed and staffed conforming to all medic-legal aspects relative to the health care industry.
- To ensure that the quality of services are provided to all participating Doctors, patients and staff.
- All stocks are correctly recorded, received and appropriately stored into the theatres.
- Ensure that all theatre equipment is in good state of repair and serviced at regular intervals.
Education, experience and competencies required:
- Degree/Diploma: General Nursing Science with Midwifery
- Post Basic Diploma in Nursing Management required (SANC Registered)
- Post Basic Diploma in Operating Theatre Technique required (SANC Registered)
- Minimum of 10 (ten) years nursing experience required
- Minimum of 5 (five) years theatre experience in a private hospital
- Previous HOD experience would be an added advantage
- Proof of registration with the Nursing Council and proof of personal indemnity is required
- Ability to maintain excellent standards and service levels
- Customer service focus
- Integrity and willing to work flexible hours
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (Ability to speak and write English) other languages would be an added advantage
- Mature personality with abilities to assist with patients in a courteous and polite manner
- To be punctual and reliable
- To be able to work as part of a team and to assist where necessary
- Managerial or supervisory qualities is recommended
Involvement in the operation requires the following duties and responsibilities:
- Accountability and responsibility
- Meeting all the required outputs as stipulated by the Job Guidelines
- Ensuring that accurate stock counts are performed when required
- Ensuring that stock is accounted for and equipment is maintained
- Ensuring that all patient billing is performed accurately
- Ensuring that on-going in-service education is performed in the ward
- Theatre standby and willing to be called out on a rotational basis
- Maintaining standards
- Constantly monitoring the smooth running of theatres
- Monitoring of all staffing requirements (Off-duties, leave and sick leave, standby roster, etc.)
- Continual Doctor liaison and inter-departmental relationships
- Application of policies for the operation within the Hospital Industry
This is not a job description but merely a guideline to facilitate recruitment.